The Ruby, Inc. team stumbled on an article by Marc and Angel Hack Life, entitled “Force of Character: Taking Ownership of Your Actions” and it resonated with us. They wrote:
People with noble intentions are found everywhere, but people with “force of character” stand out from the crowd. As the fire inside the rest of us flickers from gusts of indecision, these minds usually burn bright and rise above the storm while confidently pressing forward. They seem to know the secret for personal success. This buried secret also indirectly draws in the individual regard and respect of others.
We hope to be that kind of team. You see, it might sound all well and good to run around tinkering with clothes all day, but we stand for something. We believe in something.
- We believe in being challenged. We spend time trying out new ideas that scare us like the upcoming Spartan Race, trying out for Pin Ups for Pit Bulls, Crossfit, and public speaking at colleges, universities, podcasts, and business events.
- We believe in creativity. We want to spend out time making new ideas come to fruition through videos, photography, social media and writing.
- We believe in integrity. We want to be the kind of team that strives to tell the truth, the kind of team that is as good as their word, who shows respect and keeps our promises.
- We believe in tackling life with enthusiasm.
- And we believe in resilience. We know that some of the most amazing gifts come in really crappy packages and we strive to take the negative forces in our lives and turn them around for good, even when we’re afraid to do so.
Those are just a few of the reasons why we believe, too, in giving back to the community. It’s not easy to give when you’re starting out. Sometimes you’ve got to come up with creative ways to scrape together a few extra pennies. We vowed to give back to organizations that have touched our lives in some way and we want to give back–through time or money–with enthusiasm so we can show just how far we’ve come from when we once needed help from others.
In doing so we hope to be the kind of company that not only has noble intentions but also “burn[s] bright and rise[s] above the storm while confidently pressing forward.”
So that’s why we give to the Sexual Assault Prevention and Counseling Center at the YWCA in Lancaster, and the Humane League of Lancaster County, Hospice of Lancaster County, Phoenix Assistance Dogs, Stubbydog, the Alzheimer‘s Association and more. We want to give back to non-profits that stir a white hot burning desire in our hearts and because we’re a start-up we want to show that we can be powerful beyond measure. Sure we’ll fail sometimes, but we’ll fail forward until we get it right.
So this receipt isn’t a pat on the back saying somehow we’ve done the right thing. It’s just to show you that yes, we’re a start-up, but we can still have a big impact when we choose to make a difference.